Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Backup Speed

2006-11-08 11:16:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Backup Speed
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:16:59 -0500
So we're getting ready to implement our new backup infrastructure and
the network guys are getting jittery about us closing their trunks.
Sure, when a gigabit client writes to an SDLT220 drive, the best they
can hope for is 22MB/sec - but with Disk-2Disk coming in, we could write
as fast as 1GB/sec per nic on the media servers (theoretically clogging
their 2GB/sec Trunks between switches.)  Anyhow - its all silly because
most of my data is on a dedicated backend with 48GB/sec trunks or
something similar but just to placate the network guys, is there a
switch I can use to tell the Netbackup client not to backup faster than
(say) 10240KB/sec?!  I thought I saw something similar recently in an
article but I can't seem to find anything in Veritas support.

Thanks,

-Jonathan