Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 and Disk Staging

2006-09-25 11:53:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 and Disk Staging
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:53:46 -0500 (CDT)
As one of the others to ask this question, here are my findings so far:

- Most people aren't keeping their LTO3 happy, some even falling victim
to the marketing crap that "LTO technology isn't harmed by shoeshining."
I have personally seen a 20-25% (per month) drive failure rate in an
environment of constant shoeshining on LTO1.
- Software striping of multiple LUNs may be a good quick fix or stop gap
solution.  Especially if you can aggregate your FC interfaces this way.
- A few have mentioned that they started using FC disk because SATA was
too slow.
- When buying, pay careful attention to how your storage array does
parity and whether it can read down all paths in a RAID-5 setup.  I have
personally had much better success on the STK (Engenio) FLX210 (SATA)
arrarys for read performance than I did from EMC FC4700 (FC), though not
an apples-to-apples comparison, the bottleneck appeared to be in the
controller, and not the front- or back-end interfaces.
- One of the sites I manage uses DSSU with LTO1 because all of their
backup clients are way too slow and even LTO1 is overkill.  For them, I
just throw more disk than I need at it and make sure the destage window
doesn't overlap the backup window.  You may need to get creative, for
example: de-stage 6a-6p every 10 hours, that way the noon-3p window
doesn't interfere (since NBU won't let you do two windows in the same
day).  Even with a 24x7 window, you could achieve this with multiple
policies although it may get hairy and is admittedly a hack.

I think you're best bet is to do some software striping today, and demo
a few vendors' offerings for your next disk platform.  Don't rule out
FC.  I'm not saying you'll need to go with a high-end array, but
possibly not SATA.