Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 and Disk Staging

2006-09-28 14:01:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 and Disk Staging
From: tim.berger at gmail.com (Tim Berger)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:01:48 -0700
On 9/28/06, Weber, Philip <Philip.Weber at egg.com> wrote:

>  Trouble acquiring decent hardware.
>
> Interested though, is that concurrent operation, i.e. writing at these
> speeds and reading at these speeds concurrently?  I'm not familiar with
> bonnie++.
>
> cheers, Phil

Due to the demanding nature of disk staging you never want to read and write
concurrently.   This will definately kill performance no matter what disk
type is used.  Hard drives have sets of heads that can only be in one place
at a time.  This is not a SATA vs SCSI issue.  For high performance
operations you don't ever want them thrashing around.  It's certainly
possible to throw money at the problem to buy faster disk, but I'd argue
that you're better off using the money for more staging space to avoid
concurrent reads and writes.

-snip-

--
-Tim