Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup VTL tuning

2006-09-05 13:19:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup VTL tuning
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 13:19:22 -0400

        From: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
[mailto:veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Veritas
Netbackup

        Basically I would like to  use less media ids and hence increase
tape utilization. the VTLs can grow from 5GB and above.

        Can you set the tape size to start at a value higher than 5GB?
        I still really don't understand the issue.

        You have 4 drives, each will use a tape, obviously......but no
more than 4 tapes can be used at once, as you only have 4 drives.

        so if you start 10 backups, and have 10 streams per backup, then
you'd have 40 jobs running to 4 tapes, and 60 jobs queued.

        correct?

        can you provide more clarification?

        your data has to be all backed up, if you've got 10 TB, you've
got 10TB, there's no question there.
        If you want it backed up to fewer virtual tape IDs, then define
your virtual media as starting at 100GB or larger, is that possible with
the CDL?

        Why the 880 ID limit? is this a limitation of the CDL? Your
license?

        your multiplex level x your number of drives defines tha max
number of jobs that can run....not the number of policies you fire.

        f'rinstance, I fire almost all of my policies at once...a couple
hundred clients, but with 3 drives x MPX=8, a maximum of 24 jobs can run
at once.....when a job is finished, if another job is queued, it writes
to the same tape until the tape is full.
        what defines the max size of your virtual tapes?? could that be
a problem?

         Paul