Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up IIS

2006-05-23 08:20:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up IIS
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 08:20:13 -0400
I backup plenty of IIS here and ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES gets the job done.
Alternately if you just wanted to backup IIS you would have to backup
the Registry (System State or Shadow Copy Components - same thing) and
the directories themselves, usually c:\inetpub with wwwroot and ftproot
under this.  CAUTION - Often developers use "other" places to store
their IIS websites and several virtual directories.  Either get into IIS
yourself and verify the locations, ask the IIS admin or Dev or
alternately you can use the IIS admin scripts - iisweb and iisvdir to
list them.  More information below on the command line option.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816568

I'm not going to get into it here - but be aware that if you only want
IIS restored that restoring the ENTIRE registry on a machine without
restore all the other files could destabilize your system, so you would
have to "carve out" the IIS Settings. (Registry entries listed below in
Microsoft TechNet.)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/I
IS/60a90c91-a8d0-43b6-89db-a431d0ea0cb4.mspx?mfr=true

Another alternate way to backup only the IIS configuration is in the
Internet Services Manager GUI / MMC - with the "Backup / Restore
Configuration" wizard.  I'm not sure that you can script this though, so
it might not be suitable for backup.

Have fun! =)

-Jonathan