Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone have an StorageTek SL500 library?

2006-05-11 10:08:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone have an StorageTek SL500 library?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:08:28 -0500
On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 07:19:00AM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> We will be receiving an EVAL unit soon and wonder if anyone had any
> opinions on this library?  For instance, how reliable is it compared
> to say, an L700?
> Suppose an L700 is better, but the other problem is STK is deprecating
> that library soon and the SL500 is going to be the newly supported
> library.

We recently asked a local reseller about the SL500.  This reseller is
very knowledgeable with NetBackup and does consulting too so they see a
lot of sites.  We were trying to decide if we should upgrade the
upgrades in our current L700 or replace the library with an SL500.
Their experience so far shows that the SL500 is fairly reliable.  We
crunched some numbers and jointly decided that staying with the L700 is
the right answer for us - our L700 has been absolutely rock solid.

I talked to a Quantum SE the other day who said that the SL500 does have
alignment issues and we should look at the Quantum libraries, but he's a
wee bit biased :-).

I expect the L700 libraries will be around for a while yet - even if
they're decprecated soon, there are a lot of them out in the field so
they'll be supported for a long time.  After all, it's the big customers
who bought them in the first place.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA