Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Authentication Access To NBU Admin Console [recommendations please]

2006-05-03 10:39:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Authentication Access To NBU Admin Console [recommendations please]
From: wts AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 10:39:17 -0400
Wilkinson, Alex wrote, in part,  on 5/3/2006 9:01 AM:
> ... The Manual is crap ! ...

Well, kind of a harsh characterization.  There is a lot of
documentation.  And keep in mind that it must describe a product that
has roots in the stone ages and is otherwise as counter-intuitive to use
as anything I've seen.   However, I am particularly fond of passages
that refer you to another manual for more information ... when no more
information exists.

(the following has nothing to do with authenticated access to the Admin
Console)

My most recent escapade in these areas has been to try to understand how
to do a True Image Restore (v5.1).  The manuals offer obtuse
information, while the GUI program provides a hard-to-use interface,
that, in my experience, yields restores that either don't have the
expected results or appear to be impossible to specify.  Just last week,
2 of my users tried to do various True Image Restores.  In each case, a
full and an incremental would have to be used to accomplish the
mission.  In one case, only the incremental was restored, in another
only the full, and in another, both, but not a True Image restore.  It's
just hard to use.  I did find a note at the support site (267173) that
is a pretty good explanation of TIR.  It basically said for TIR, you o 2
restores, one for full, then a second for incremental.  That fit what
I'd seen from my two users, but then one of my users managed what
appears to be a True Image restore in just one step using the command
line menu program "bp".

However, I don't know if that was to be a good restore, since in the
middle of the restore of the "full backup"  we needed to halt the
process. The NetBackup Admin Console "offered" a suspend" and so we took
it.  However, when we resumed the restore job, the "full backup" restore
step failed to resume successfully.  this was followed by a successful
incremental restore and a restore job status code of 1 (some files not
restored).  It's just hard to use.  How to "complete" the True Image
restore?  I have no idea besides cleaning out the directories and trying
the whole thing again.  It's just hard to use.

My idea of a good "true image" restore is one where I specify a date and
maybe whether NetBackup is to leave or discard newer files ... and
NetBackup restores the directory to the exact state found at the backup.

cheers, wayne