Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape Usage

2005-11-14 11:39:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape Usage
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 09:39:03 -0700
Ah - windows.

Nope - I'm no help with that.

It's, no doubt, a fairly simple PERL script but my handling of perl is
rather poor.

There's a problem to be surmounted in that tape usage expressed as a
percentage is difficult.  The drive compresses and you can never be sure how
much will fit on a tape, therefore it's hard to calculate a partial against
an uncertain full volume.

It's going to be a query against bpmedialist (for the on-tape data numbers)
and vmquery (for the pool info).

In general, though, you can maximize your tape usage within a pool by using
consistent retention periods (since tapes are segregated by retention) and
by using either low jobs-per-policy settings or high mpx-per-tape drive
settings (although this may have performance implications).

HTH - M