Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VMD Buffer Overflow patch

2005-11-14 13:56:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VMD Buffer Overflow patch
From: john.nardello AT wamu DOT net (Nardello, John)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:56:29 -0800
Took a while to dig this info up - you'd think something this important
would be in bold flashing letters at the top or something....

>From the NB_CLT_51_3S2_M patch release notes,
---------------------
Etrack Incident = ET494041 ET494466 ET498548
A vulnerability has been confirmed in the NetBackup Volume Manager
daemon (vmd). By sending a specially crafted packet to the Volume
Manager, a stack overflow occurs. This is caused by improper bounds
checking.
Exploitation does not require authentication, thereby allowing a remote
attacker to take over the system or disrupt the backup capabilities.
Further testing and code inspection has revealed that all other
NetBackup 5.1 daemons are potentially affected in the same manner.
Therefore, any Master Servers, Media Servers, CLIENTS and Console
machines at this version level are subject to this vulnerability.
However, NetBackup 5.1 database agents are not affected by this issue.

Looking at the .cab file, it's applying new bpcd, bpfis, bpinetd,
bpjava_msvc, bpjava_usvc, mtfrd, and ssm executables, plus a new
netbackup.dll and version file. I expect the UNIX patch has much the
same stuff.

Going by this, you have to patch everything. Again. =)

- John Nardello