Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advanced Client (flashbackup) w/ Solaris question

2005-08-09 17:15:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advanced Client (flashbackup) w/ Solaris question
From: hal AT uga DOT edu (Hal N. Brooks)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:15:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Piszcz, Justin wrote:

> Why do you want to use FlashBackup?
> I have several machines that are > 1TB, but they do not require Flash
> Backup.  The only reason you would want to use Flashbackup (or one of
> the main reasons) is if you are going to be backing up millions of
> files, on the order of magnitude of > 5-10 million files.  The one place
> I have used flashbackup is on a filesystem with around 24 million files.
> Before flashbackup, I was getting 35KB/s and the backups never seemed to
> finish. With FlashBackup I get 600-900KB/s and the backups take 24-36
> hours but they do complete successfully.  Please note though, I am
> backing up 24million+ files on a VxFS file system.  Otherwise, if it is
> UFS or something similar, you need to have a separate "Cache" drive in
> order to use the flashbackup feature.

Uh, if I was only getting 900KB/s I would just go ahead and kill myself
now.  By my calculations, if you're only getting 900KB/s, you can't even
backup 129GB in 36 hours.

I'm already getting 10MB/s with ufsdump and an Ultrium1 drive.  I
damn well better get 20MB/s plus with FlashBackup and an Ultrium2 drive.
But a standard policy type seems to be constrained by the metadata.

This ufs file system is now 375GB and has 12632275 files.  I can backup a
ufs snaphshot in 12 hours on a good day; some days it takes 16 hours when
the users have the audacity to actually use the system.

-hal