Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup with hardware encryption

2005-06-19 19:52:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup with hardware encryption
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:52:09 -0500
FYI, you should know that Veritas is EXTREMELY touchy about the use of
appliances like the DataFort, for at least two reasons:

(1) Veritas sells its own [software-based] encryption option for
NetBackup.  Yes, it's undoubtedly slower than a dedicated encryption
box, but I must imagine that the NBU encryption option might be getting
a lot more engineering/design attention these days, given the recent
flood of press emphasizing the need for encrypted backup tapes.

(2) These encryption appliances create backup tapes that are absolutely
unreadable by NetBackup without an encryption appliance to decrypt at
restore time.   Of course, this is the whole point of encryption, but
it undoubtedly could create some extremely unpleasant fingerpointing
possibilities if problems were to appear during a disaster recovery
crisis.

So if you were to open a Veritas support call today and say,

    "I'm having problems restoring from my backup tapes... and oh by the
way the data was encrypted with a Decru Datafort"

You run the risk of a very short answer along the lines of,

    "Don't call us, call Decru."

HTH
rob

p.s. that said, I know of at least one large company using the
NBU/DataFort combination successfully in production environments today.