Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup with hardware encryption

2005-06-20 01:51:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup with hardware encryption
From: michael AT michaelbarrow DOT name (Michael Barrow)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:51:55 -0700
Rob Worman (home) wrote:
> (2) These encryption appliances create backup tapes that are absolutely
> unreadable by NetBackup without an encryption appliance to decrypt at
> restore time.   Of course, this is the whole point of encryption, but it
> undoubtedly could create some extremely unpleasant fingerpointing
> possibilities if problems were to appear during a disaster recovery crisis.

Yes -- I'm totally aware of this possibility. One of the reasons that I
like Decru's solution is that they have a fairly comprehensive key
recovery strategy for those disaster-type scenarios. But of course, even
with their strategy, regular restore testing will ensure that your
restores work even in the worse circumstances.

-- michael