Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advanced Reporter

2005-05-02 08:50:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advanced Reporter
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 08:50:30 -0400
--=_mixed 00468AA885256FF5_=

--=_alternative 00468AA885256FF5_=

I will echo what David says,.  Our experience with Aptare Support has been
excellent.
We are very happy with their product.
=============================
Carl Stehman
PHI Services Company
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
05/01/2005 11:59 PM
Please respond to
David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com>

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Advanced Reporter

* Hart, Charles <charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com> [2005-04-29 15:46]:

> As far as mapping the NBU error codes it can be cumbersome, but once set
> you're done.  Not sure what the issue is for the reporting tool to
> "Pretend to be a media server.  How does Aptare collect NBU data?

It's a security hole you don't need, for one. Any system that is listed
as a media server in your environment has FULL access to whatever it
wants in NBU. That's not a good idea. BTW, that's also how Veritas
allows the Admin Client to connect. Very, very stupid. There are a
hundred other ways that are much more secure than that.

It's also more likely to be stepped on by Veritas. All they have to do
is change their security model and you're screwed. You are MUCH safer to
use the published CLI to access data rather than try to hack and snoop
your way to the data. If it does get changed, the development time to
fix your app is a lot shorter.

Aptare collects their data by running published CLI commands and then
pushes to the database server via port 80. That's it, nothing fancy. I
also can't say enough about Aptare's responsiveness when we have run
into an issue. They are very knowledgable about their product and how it
interacts with NBU data. I have never gone more than 24 hours without a
solid fix to an issue, and it's usually only a couple hours.

--
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.

--=_alternative 00468AA885256FF5_=

experience with Aptare Support has been excellent.</font>
Carl Stehman<br>
PHI Services Company<br>
202-331-6619<br>
Pager 301-765-2703<br>
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com</font>
graniteweb DOT com&gt;</b>
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</font>
edu</font>
Reporter</font></table>
[2005-04-29 15:46]:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; As far as mapping the NBU error codes it can be cumbersome, but once
set<br>
&gt; you're done. &nbsp;Not sure what the issue is for the reporting tool
to<br>
&gt; &quot;Pretend to be a media server. &nbsp;How does Aptare collect
NBU data?<br>
It's a security hole you don't need, for one. Any system that is listed<br>
as a media server in your environment has FULL access to whatever it<br>
wants in NBU. That's not a good idea. BTW, that's also how Veritas<br>
allows the Admin Client to connect. Very, very stupid. There are a<br>
hundred other ways that are much more secure than that.<br>
It's also more likely to be stepped on by Veritas. All they have to do<br>
is change their security model and you're screwed. You are MUCH safer to<br>
use the published CLI to access data rather than try to hack and snoop<br>
your way to the data. If it does get changed, the development time to<br>
fix your app is a lot shorter.<br>
Aptare collects their data by running published CLI commands and then<br>
pushes to the database server via port 80. That's it, nothing fancy. I<br>
also can't say enough about Aptare's responsiveness when we have run<br>
into an issue. They are very knowledgable about their product and how it<br>
interacts with NBU data. I have never gone more than 24 hours without a<br>
solid fix to an issue, and it's usually only a couple hours.<br>
-- <br>
David Rock<br>
david AT graniteweb DOT com<br>
</tt></font>
[...]

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgU0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0NClZlcnNpb246IEdudVBH
IHYxLjIuNiAoR05VL0xpbnV4KQ0KDQppRDhEQlFGQ2RhV05Nck80L1liL3h3
WVJBaU13QUtET3pvaC91elR0dzd5K3ZaSk1xaTRyV3RhYVFRQ2ZiL2pxDQpm
VmdRV3RsTGQ1UmN3OXBtMENQaTBHWT0NCj01bWNmDQotLS0tLUVORCBQR1Ag
U0lHTkFUVVJFLS0tLS0NCg==

--=_mixed 00468AA885256FF5_=--