Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup error 196

2005-05-02 02:44:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup error 196
From: alfonso.correas AT arrakis DOT es (Alfonso Correas Serrat)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 08:44:39 +0200
El 30/04/2005, a las 10:19, kumar appan escribió:

There are some things to check. When Error 196 arise you need to look
for suspecting subjects who cause this.

1. Check the maximum concurrent jobs per drive you're allowing on the
storage units.  You don't state what kind of drives you're using but as
a ballpark I use this values as a ballpark: DLT 2 to 4, SuperDLT: 3 to
4, LTO-1: 5 to 6, LTO-2: =>6.

2. Check how many streams you're allowing on the policy definition.
Probably you're doing backups of machine with lots of small files
(divide and conquer). Look for some client tunning (i.e:
DONT_SORT_FILES and others) and look for 'slow clients' who stall the
drives.

3. Probably you're using many different pools and different backup
retentions. If you have some jobs running, but each goes to a different
pool you cannot take advantage of multiplexing multiple jobs to the
same tape.

4. Look for network problems (congestion, bad network performance due
to misconfiguration of network adapters / port switches  - Double check
link spped / duplex mode).

5. Last but not least, check for  library dimensioning. What are the
specs of your library, how many clients, how many jobs and most
important: How many GB, TB you're doing daily?.

Best regards,
  Alfonso Correas