Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Inline Copy and Multiplexing problem

2005-02-07 16:05:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Inline Copy and Multiplexing problem
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:05:56 -0600
Hello Nick-

What you are describing is normal behavior for multiplexing.

The scheduler has a strict set of rules for whether or not a
new job can join an active "multiplex group".  These rules
basically boil down to a number of qualities that the new
job has to share with the already-active job:

   -same retention level
   -same volume pool
   etc...

One of these less-obvious rules is that, if inline tape
copy is in use, the new job and the existing job have to
come from similarly configured ITC schedules.  This is best
illustrated by an example:

===========
scheduleA is configured to write ITC copy#1 to tape, copy#2 to disk
scheduleB is configured to write a single copy to tape
scheduleC is configured to write ITC copy#1 to disk, copy#2 to tape
scheduleD is configured to write a single copy to disk
scheduleE is configured to write ITC copy#1 to tape, copy#2 to disk
scheduleF is configured to write ITC copy#1 to disk, copy#2 to tape
scheduleG is configured to write ITC copy#1 to disk, copy#2 to tape,
copy#3 to tape
scheduleH is configured to write a single copy to disk

Question:
==
Assuming all other aspects of the configuration would allow multiplexing
for these schedules, which of the above schedules would be allowed to
multiplex to the same media?

Answer:
==
A+E can MPX together
C+F can MPX together
B,D,G,H cannot MPX at all in this example

HTH
rob