Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs

2005-02-07 15:51:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:51:13 -0600
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 01:09:54PM -0500, David Magda wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:53:36PM -0500, Greenberg, Katherine A wrote:
> > Have you tried to use the DNS resolution for the vIPs as the client
> > names?
>
> The issue is that the client software has it's own idea on what it's
> name is. In the bp.conf file, the "CLIENT_NAME" parameter is the
> canonical name (?) of the client's hostname according to NetBackup.
>
> If you tell the master server to go to "vIP-host", but client
> software answers back with "real-host" as the hostname, then the
> backup will fail.

No it won't - at least it doesn't for us.  The client_name parameter is
effectively ignored.  We have one name in the policy and a different
name in the bp.conf file and backups (and more importantly, restores)
work fine. We typically initiate our restores from the master server,
not the client.

We create an exclude file for the database disks so that the normal host
all_local_drives policies skip them.  We then use explicit lists for the
database disks and use separate policies pointing to the virtual ip
where the database is.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org