Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for suggestions)

2005-01-31 19:35:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backing up LARGE oracle databases (looking for suggestions)
From: ekholm AT ekholm DOT org (Mike Ekholm)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:35:19 -0600
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:29:46PM -0500, David Magda wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2005, at 17:59, Dobbertien, Matthew wrote:
>
> >Right now, the chokepoint is the GigE connections.  I?d like to be
> >able to use snapshots to backup the data directly to tape, but there
> >doesn?t seem to be a good way to manage the snaphshot process using
> >Netbackup with Clariion arrays.

Guess I missed the original post...

We have been using Vxvm 3.5 snapshots with good results.  We have some
fairly cheap SATA disk we use for backups, and using veritas flashsnap,
which allows for "changed data only" snapshots, it seems to work quite
well. We do not use netbackup its self to manage the snapshots, we just use
a script that is scheduled in our enterprise scheduling system.

In some of the veritas flashsnap documentation, they do have the process layed
out to perform this.

I will note that we did have problems with write order using the veritas vxvm
4.0 (version 20 DCO) snapshots, so we did fall back to the veritas vxvm version
0 DCO, from vxvm 3.5.

 -Mike Ekholm
--
Mike Ekholm, UNIX System Admin  -  ekholm AT ekholm DOT org
web: http://www.ekholm.org blog: http://blog.ekholm.org