Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup hostname change

2004-12-19 09:47:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup hostname change
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:47:32 -0600
On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:32:35AM +0400, Naidu V. T. wrote:
> We want to upgrade to 5.1 so that it can supporting win 2003 environ
> and  the current master server kfsrv is also an oracle application
> server(dual  role)  and there is lot of performance issues , we wanted
> independent  Master Server. So the idea is to keep the current master
> server, tapes and  catalog intact.

>  Go for a new master server and  reinstall all media servers and start
>  backup fresh with new tapes and not to migrate as we cannot use the
>  same  hostname & ip (kfsrv) as it will continued in network as oracle
>  application

This will obviously work but won't meet your goal of keeping the current
master server, tapes, adn catalog intact.

>  In-case if we need any old backup images ( very rare) then we can
>  always  connect the old master server and use the saved catalogue to
>  retrieve data.

That will work.  If you know what is on what tape currently, you could
import the tape into the new master and do the restore from there.  For
large or frequent restores, this is probably not practical.  Don't
forget that you'll have to remember to move the tapes so that they're
owned by the old master server and not the now-destroyed media servers.

>  We don't want to migrate to the existing system as we have to change
>  the  hostname and ip as it is used by the oracle application.

Veritas does not support renaming a master server.  It can be done, but
it's a lot of non-trivial work that is best left to people who really
know what they're doing.  A few high-level steps have been documented
here on the list, but in general, unless you're an expert, don't even
try to attempt it.  It might be easier to change the hostname for the
Oracle application.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org