Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup hostname change

2004-12-19 00:55:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup hostname change
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:55:09 -0600
--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt

* Naidu V. T. <naidu AT iitcoman DOT com> [2004-12-19 08:32]:
> =20
>  Go for a new master server and  reinstall all media servers and start=20
>  backup fresh with new tapes and not to migrate as we cannot use the same=
  hostname & ip (kfsrv) as it will continued in network as oracle applicati=
on
> =20
>  In-case if we need any old backup images ( very rare) then we can always=
  connect the old master server and use the saved catalogue to retrieve dat=
a.
> =20
>  We don't want to migrate to the existing system as we have to change the=
  hostname and ip as it is used by the oracle application.=20
> =20
>  Pl. suggest whether we can proceed with this.

Starting over is easy, just do it. It's only hard if you want to bring
the old data with you. Depending on the retentions you use in the
current environment, your data may roll off in a reasonable amount of
time. If it's true that you don't do a lot of old restores, then you can
just import a tape into the new system if you need it.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--pf9I7BMVVzbSWLtt