Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups to disk

2004-10-17 23:09:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups to disk
From: pwo AT Infineon DOT COM (Peter W. Osel)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:09:40 -0700
> *** Hampus Lind <hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se>
> *** [2004-10-15 13:29:56]:
>
> Sorry to bother you again. When you say "I only wished the system was a
> little bit bigger ", how much data do you get on to your DD200? With a
> compression by 18 you must get about 70 TB down on the DD200. On the other
> hand that is not so much if you want to keep a couple of weeks backups on
> disk, as you said "a little bit bigger" maybe had been nice...

I am currently backing up two systems (Windows NT group shares), with
a combined capacity of appr 500 Gbyte, and I am keeping 3 months of
backups, doing weekly fulls and daily cummulatives.  The disk used is:

of the physical disk space of appr 1.1 TByte, I am only using 300 GByte
to store the backup images.  The backup images would take 6.2 TByte
if stored on conventional storage.

the virtual diskspace is the disk space that you would need if
stored on conventional filers, assuming a 20:1 compression.

Hope this helps

        --pwo

[Slogan of the moment]

Contrary to popular opinion, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'fact'.

--
Peter W. Osel                   Principal - Development Systems
Infineon Technologies           Email: pwo AT Infineon DOT COM

pgp key fingerprint = 79 2D DD 49 C0 AA D8 CF  2C F9 A5 6A BA 37 0E 28