Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups to disk

2004-10-15 13:55:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups to disk
From: Steve.White AT PacifiCorp DOT com (White, Steve)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:55:51 -0700
There are actually a number of "virtual tape" solutions out there that
would provide what you're looking for, specifically they look like a
tape drive to the backup application, but they're actually disk in the
background, and they compress the data when you write it.  They may not
keep just one copy, but at least they'll compress it for you, and when
you "eject" a tape, it will create a physically for you to send offsite.
Check out the VTL offerings from ADIC, EMC, StorageTek, Quantum, etc.
I'm sure one of these devices might be just the ticket for you.

For us, we're using ATA disk in a NetApp NearStore to hold our
disk-based backups.  We're not at 12TB per day, but it's still a pretty
cost-effective solution.  We have found some bottlenecks in the
"bpduplicate" process, which we're told has a fix in NBU 5.1 and will be
permanently resolved in a future release.

Steve White