Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] upgrading to FP6 or version 5.1

2004-07-27 17:04:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] upgrading to FP6 or version 5.1
From: wtsmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:04:33 -0400
Version 5.0MP2 (I don't have 5.1 installed) (Solaris 9, LTO1, L700)
fixed a lot of v4.5 problems and adds lots of new goodies (although
first looks and trials at disk staging and synthetic backups are totally
underwhelming).

Unfortunately, for me it broke a lot more than it fixed and we're very
unhappy with it.   Mysteriously queued jobs, tapes attached with no jobs
active, status codes 213 and 196, and jobs going incomplete or failing
after "end writing" in log are a few of the things we experience.  It
has been a very labor intensive time.

Today I had a new one: at the end of a nearly 24-hour 158 gig backup of
several file systems, a number of "bpbrm (pid=xxxxx) could not write
FILE ADDED message to std err" messages appeared in the log and the job
went to "Incomplete" status instead of finishing.  On resuming the job,
it began from the beginning. ;-(    (The client is still at v4.5).

Maybe v5.0MP3 will be better or we'll find magic potion to correct
something somewhere?!    Hope this helps, wayne