Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Standard Backup Frequency and Retention Guidelines?

2004-04-02 14:57:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Standard Backup Frequency and Retention Guidelines?
From: BS128490 AT ncr DOT com (Safran, Becky K)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:57:40 -0500
I work in a data center with 600+ UNIX and W2K servers using NetBackup. We
backup operating system, application and databases separately which equates
to 2000+ backup jobs running per day. I have an objective to reduce the
amount of data stored on tape. The approach I am taking is to update and
enforce a standard backup policy of frequency and retention periods. I have
been unable to find any "industry standards" on this topic.

I am interested in what type of backup policies or guidelines are being used
in other companies. Any feedback would be helpful.

We currently use the following guidelines:

     OS and production Application backups are only run Weekly and Monthly.

    Backup Retention options:
    Daily Database Backups                              2 weeks
    Daily Incremental Development Application Backups   2 weeks
   Weekly Backups                                       1 month
   Monthly Backups                                      3 months, 6 months
or 1 year
   Yearly Financial Backups                             7 years

Note: Monthly production backups are sent offsite for a period of 3 months,
at which time, they are returned for the remainder of their retention
period.

Becky