Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Streaming and large data sets

2004-03-19 12:27:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Streaming and large data sets
From: justin.lloyd AT mci DOT com (Justin C. Lloyd)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:27:43 -0500
Ok, maybe I'm missing something.

One recommendation regarding streaming is not to have multiple streams
off the same physical device.  By physical device, I am also taking that
to mean a RAID device that spans multiple disks and/or disk arrays.  In
my case I have four arrays partitioned into 11 LUNs each and then my
filesystem is built on a volume striped across all 44 LUNs.

So, I have a 400 GB (for now, but growing) data set on that filesystem.
  My library's 8 AIT-3 tape drives can write at up to 40 GB/h each.
Therefore if I were to have a single stream the data set would take 10
hours to back up.  But if I want it to complete in, say, 2 hours, I'd
have to use 4 drives and hence define 4 roughly equal size streams
(which is what I currently do), which I occasionally have to rebalance
as the data set grows.  But this streaming goes against the above
recommendation.

It's possible this really isn't a problem if it just boils down to the
drawback of the streaming taking more time due to additional head
movement.  Breaking up a huge stream more than compensates for that
overhead.

Any comments or suggestions?

Justin

--