Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #3005 - Advanced ReReporter vs. Command Central

2004-03-19 12:17:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #3005 - Advanced ReReporter vs. Command Central
From: mhickey AT glasshouse DOT com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:17:15 -0500
I have been involved in implementing Bocada in a medium to large
enterprise environment, have self-tested Aptare (albeit 6 months ago)
and have been somewhat trained up on Command Central Storage (CSS) by
Veritas.  I haven't time to go into detail, but my brief observations
are as follows:

Aptare
   - reasonably comprehensive
   - like the dashboard view
   - web-based - static charts
   - NBU only

Bocada
   - comprehensive
   - some performance features (drive throughput, etc.) weren't
supported
     when I was involved implementing it ( newer versions may have
addressed
     this
   - agentless
   - dynamic charts and graphs (you can rotate, size, etc.)
   - supports simple "zoning" to group systems to represent vertical
     association with business organizations
   - Supports custom charts and graphs (allows editing of the SQL
     underlying reports)
   - Supports Legato and NBU (maybe TSM too?)

CSS
   - comprehensive
   - some performance features (drive throughput, etc.) weren't
supported
     when I was involved implementing it ( newer versions may have
addressed
     this
   - agentless
   - supports hierarchies of "zoning" systems to group systems
     to represent vertical association with business organizations
   - Incorporates resource requesting/provisioning workflow management
     system with customizable forms
   - Incorporates chargeback accounting calculations
   - Supports customizable dashboard
   - Supports custom charts and graphs (allows editing of the SQL
     underlying reports)
   - Supports Legato and NBU (maybe TSM too?)

Mark Hickey
Senior Technology Consultant
Glasshouse Technologies
www.glasshouse.com