Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBDC 4.5_MP6 Solaris M/M server various clients

2004-03-15 09:28:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBDC 4.5_MP6 Solaris M/M server various clients
From: kathy AT mitre DOT org (Kathy Riddlemoser)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:28:33 -0500
I just recently upgraded my Sun E220R from Solaris 7 to Solaris 9 and from
NBDC 3.4 to 4.5_6.  I am using an Overland LTO (soon to upgrade to LTO2).
My unix clients average 12-14 MB whereas my windows clients average 4-5 MB.
Windows backups are 3 times slower.  WHY?

My windows 2000 file server with 511 GB storage started backing up on Friday
at 13:40:59 and it's elapse time is now (Monday) at 67:41:09 and has only
backed up 299 GB.  I had a unix box backup 484 GB in 30 hours.  This is sad.

I installed the most recent patches on both server and client.  I also have
some windows clients still running 3.4 and am finding no difference in
through put.

Any tuning suggestions on the server and client would be much appreciated.
Am wondering if I would get better performance if I had a separate Windows
master/media server?  Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Kathy