Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO2 backup speed just up to 5 MB/sec under Netbackup 4.5

2004-03-14 14:15:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO2 backup speed just up to 5 MB/sec under Netbackup 4.5
From: mark AT steelfamily DOT org (mark)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:15:21 -0000
Hi

yes, these can massively improve backups over the network from clients, and
when multiplexed, you should be able to max out a drive.

However, the problem I think that was being refered to was a local ( to the
netbackup server ) backup. The process to get data off disk needs to be
greater or at least match the drive speed. The block size in bpbkar does
limit this -

If you try and do duplication from a disk storage unit you will run into the
same problem. Your disk unit is likely to be a very big directory / drive
letter. You can only have 1 duplication going to a tape drive ( ie you can't
multiplex from disk to tape ), so the limit is the speed that the process
can read it from disk, and this is a major limitation in netbackup. I have
LTO-2's and can drive them flat out all day with 20-way multiplexed backups
from network clients. I cannot get them to go more than 10mb/s from a local
duplication.

NBU5.0 however, goes faster...

Regards
Mark