Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problems with NB 4.5 and RH9 workaround [repost]

2003-12-01 11:50:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problems with NB 4.5 and RH9 workaround [repost]
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:50:36 -0600
On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:00:43AM -0600, David Rock wrote:
> * Cris Rhea <crhea AT mayo DOT edu> [2003-12-01 09:42]:
> > It's only going to get worse with Fedora/RHEL/etc....
>
> To be fair, I think RHEL will be BETTER as we move forward, since RedHat
> will be focusing on that as THE offering, which should make it easier
> for Veritas to write for it.
>
> Now Fedora on the other hand... ;-)

My opinion is that RHEL (and Red Hat Professional Workstation, which
technically is RHEL WS) will be better.  I fully expect Veritas to take
the effort to make sure that NBU works on RHEL.  RHEL 3 may take a bit
of time since it just started shipping, but once it's in place, Veritas
will have to keep maintaining it.

Fedora is a lost cause.  This is not an enterprise release - it isn't
offered as one, nor should anybody expect it to really be one.  Patches
for Fedora may be in the form of "grab the latest version from RawHide".
This is something that no 3rd party in their right minds will support.

An enterprise backup - NBU - on an enterprise Linux distro - RHEL -
should be the expected combination.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org