Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrating master from Windows to Solaris

2003-10-05 15:49:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrating master from Windows to Solaris
From: fahnoe AT FahnoeTech DOT com (Larry Fahnoe)
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:49:09 -0500
Greetings,

I'm in the process of migrating from a Win2K master server running
3.4.1 to a freshly installed Solaris 9 3.4 master server.  This is a
SSO environment with 5 media servers (4 Win2K, 1 Solaris) and an L700
controlled by the master server.  My ultimate goal is to get the whole
environment upgraded to 4.5.

Thus far I have not been successful, though the attached message from
W. Curtis Preston has provided me with both hope and a helpful road-map
toward partial success.  I have been able to get the catalog data
migrated and have been able to query it and do restores using multiple
media servers.  I have not been able to do backups or otherwise modify
volumes.  My sense is that the volDB is corrupt as I'm getting the
following sorts of errors:

 - bptm Media Manager could not deassign media id 000159, retaining it in
   NetBackup database

 - bptm Media Manager error 8, invalid media ID

 - bptm short read occurred reading media database, bytes = 93

 - bptm Media Manager error 94, volume is not in specified pool

Here is how I have performed the migration thus far:

1) Install Solaris 9, and NetBackup 3.4 with patch NB_34_6.  This
server's name is Osiris

2) Configure Osiris to be a media server in the existing SSO
environment so that I have access to the drives for bprecover

3) Get a database backup from the current server (named stptape1m) and
stop scheduling

4) Move all the media to standalone

5) Using bprecover, restore the \Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db to
/usr/openv/netbackup/db-restore on the Solaris server

6) Since the media has been moved to standalone after the database
backup, copy \Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\poolDB ruleDB and volDB to
/usr/openv/volmgr/database-restore on the Solaris server

7) Shut down Win2k master, reconfigure Solaris as master.  The Solaris
machine name does not change, however it does get the addresses of the
Win2k server (I'll address the name change using W. Curtis' procedure
below).

8) Fix the record termination in the NetBackup catalog using dos2unix

9) Fix the record termination in volmgr/poolDB and volmgr/ruleDB with
dos2unix.  Leave volDB alone as it does not look like a text file.

10) Bring up daemons on the Solaris server

11) Recreate volmgr/ltidevs, globDB, and robotic_def

12) Move the media from standalone to robotic residence

13) Use bpimage to change the master server's name

14) Update the media servers and clients with the new master's name

As there is about 35GB of data in 31K files in the catalog the
restores and repair of DOS line termination takes a while, but
otherwise things seem to be quite good.  It is only when I get to the
point of actually changing volume metadata that I begin to see errors
like those listed above, so I feel I need to convert the volDB from a
Win2K form to a Solaris form.  Yes, I know these are documented as
binary files, but I'd like to get the catalog migrated and not have to
re-read all my tapes.  Since the migration attempt was not successful,
I have rolled back to my previous config.

Any hints or suggestions from the wise ones?  Many thanks!!

--Larry

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:56:13AM -0800, W. Curtis Preston commenced mumbling: