Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Vault / Dupes in SAN SSO Env.

2003-10-05 07:49:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Vault / Dupes in SAN SSO Env.
From: charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com (Hart, Charles)
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 06:49:02 -0500
ENV
NBU 4.5 FP5 DC
Master - Sun 480R
6 x 9940B FC SAN Attached
6 Win2K SAN Media Mngs

Duplication Sanity Check ?

When we do a daily Duplication using Vault we are sending as many tapes offsite
as the old BackupExec env using DLT 35/70's which are 5-10x' less capacity than
the 9940b's.  Is this because each media manager create its own dupes (6 Media
mngrs = 6dupe jobs) which appears to not allow me to be able to consolidate all
the images to a smaller set of tapes? (IE if I only had one master and one
Media then all images would be written to less tapes?)  I also am not mixing
media retentions and 3 of the 6 vault profiles have different offsite
retention.  I tried using the alternate read server option having the Master be
the alternate read server for the 6 MediaMngrs but it was pathetically slow.

Hope I made sense here....and Thanks!