Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unable to 'up' the drive, sgscan problem...

2003-05-02 12:32:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unable to 'up' the drive, sgscan problem...
From: Louis-Luc Le Guerrier <leguerri AT Canr.Hydro.Qc DOT Ca> (Louis-Luc Le Guerrier)
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:32:27 -0400 (EDT)
> Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to configure Veritas 3.4 to use the Exabyte
8500
> > tape drive, as a standalone unit.
> >
> > I'm trying to configure it as a stand-alone drive, using
it's
> > path /dev/rmt/1bn. It works in plain UNIX with the 'mt'
> > command, and 'tar' as well, but with Veritas, I'm unable
> > to give it the status UP
>
> Have you tried writing tar to it...rewinding it and then
skipping
> over the first file (mt fsf 1) and writing the second tar
file?

> If it fails then you may have a old driver that doesn't
understand
> that the EOF marker must be re-written in order to append
the subsequent
> file (or netbackup image).
>
> This difficulty will trip up Veritas after it initial writes
the first
> file which is the software tape label...
>
> -Rudy

Thank you for your answer.

I have found the solution, and I had to run the
script 'volmgr/bin/driver/sg.install'. This seemed to
have copied everything at the right place, and now
sgscan works, and I can use my Exabyte.

This drive has always worked with tar, ufsdump, mt fsf, etc...

I'm using Solaris 9.

Louis-Luc