Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unable to 'up' the drive, sgscan problem...

2003-05-01 17:42:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unable to 'up' the drive, sgscan problem...
From: ern AT spinnakernet DOT com (Rudy Nedved)
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 17:42:50 -0400
Louis-Luc Le Guerrier wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to configure Veritas 3.4 to use the Exabyte 8500
> tape drive, as a standalone unit.
>
> I'm trying to configure it as a stand-alone drive, using it's
> path /dev/rmt/1bn. It works in plain UNIX with the 'mt'
> command, and 'tar' as well, but with Veritas, I'm unable
> to give it the status UP

Have you tried writing tar to it...rewinding it and then skipping
over the first file (mt fsf 1) and writing the second tar file?

If it fails then you may have a old driver that doesn't understand
that the EOF marker must be re-written in order to append the subsequent
file (or netbackup image).

This difficulty will trip up Veritas after it initial writes the first
file which is the software tape label...

-Rudy