Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Quick way to recover Master / Media Server

2003-02-11 08:15:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Quick way to recover Master / Media Server
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:15:17 -0500
Here's what I do (tested), granted I'm operating in a UNIX environment:

I have an rsync job, which mirrors / to another physical disk in another
datacenter. Master/Media server goes down, I take my mirrored disk, pop
it in, and boot. Voila, recovered master/media server.

That's the simplistic view. There are other considerations, in the event
of a real disaster, such as reconfiguring robotics/drives, if original
has been destroyed, etc.

My DR plan will "promote" one of my media servers to assume the roles
and responsibilities of our master server, until replacement hardware
has been acquired. In this case, I have another rsync job which mirrors
/opt/openv to it's own disk, which resides in one of my media servers.

--Steve

WEAVER, Simon wrote:
> Hello Everyone again :-)
> I am looking at a possible disaster recovery solution, and I would be
> grateful for anyone's opinions on this matter.
>
> Current Set-up:
>
> Pure Windows NT / 2000 Domain Structure.
> 1 x NT Master Server and 1 x NT Media Server Multihosting drives from an
> ADIC Scalar 100 Robot. Veritas Netbackup is installed on the E: Partition of
> these Servers. Operating System is on C:
> 30 x NT/2000 Clients
>
> I have a single NT Master Server on its own which I will make use of to
> perform backups.
>
> I know I can use bprecover to recover the Netbackup DB in the event that the
> Master Server goes down, but I am looking for a faster way to recover either
> the master or media Server in the event that we lose the C: Partition.
>
> So, what I was hoping to do would be to use my NT Single Master Server to
> backup the C: Drives of my current Master and Media Servers and in the event
> of a failure, simply use the Disaster Recover CD to get the system back from
> a last good backup.
>
> Then if need be, reinstall Netbackup back onto E: then use BPRecover to
> recover the DB/Logs.
>
> To build the servers manually will take approx 40-50 mins. Using the DR CD
> made by Netbackup, the C: drive could be back within 8 mins!
>
> Could I have some comments on whether this sounds like a feasible plan?
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon Weaver
> NT Domain Administrator
> Ext. 5544
> Tel: 02392-705544 (Direct Dial)
> Simon.Weaver AT Astrium-Space DOT com

> This email is for the intended addressee only.
> If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate
> or otherwise deal with it.  Please notify the sender by return email.
> The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of Astrium
> Limited.
> Nothing in this email shall bind Astrium Limited in any contract or
> obligation.
>
> Astrium Limited, Registered in England and Wales No. 2449259
> Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS,
> England

===================================

Steven L. Sesar
Ops. Sys. Programmer/Analyst, Sr.