Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Quick way to recover Master / Media Server

2003-02-11 03:48:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Quick way to recover Master / Media Server
From: Simon.WEAVER AT astrium-space DOT com (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:48:40 -0000
Hello Everyone again :-)
I am looking at a possible disaster recovery solution, and I would be
grateful for anyone's opinions on this matter.

Current Set-up:

Pure Windows NT / 2000 Domain Structure.
1 x NT Master Server and 1 x NT Media Server Multihosting drives from an
ADIC Scalar 100 Robot. Veritas Netbackup is installed on the E: Partition of
these Servers. Operating System is on C:
30 x NT/2000 Clients

I have a single NT Master Server on its own which I will make use of to
perform backups.

I know I can use bprecover to recover the Netbackup DB in the event that the
Master Server goes down, but I am looking for a faster way to recover either
the master or media Server in the event that we lose the C: Partition.

So, what I was hoping to do would be to use my NT Single Master Server to
backup the C: Drives of my current Master and Media Servers and in the event
of a failure, simply use the Disaster Recover CD to get the system back from
a last good backup.

Then if need be, reinstall Netbackup back onto E: then use BPRecover to
recover the DB/Logs.

To build the servers manually will take approx 40-50 mins. Using the DR CD
made by Netbackup, the C: drive could be back within 8 mins!

Could I have some comments on whether this sounds like a feasible plan?

Thanks

Simon Weaver
NT Domain Administrator
Ext. 5544
Tel: 02392-705544 (Direct Dial)
Simon.Weaver AT Astrium-Space DOT com

If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate
or otherwise deal with it.  Please notify the sender by return email.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of Astrium
Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation.