Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help Restoring root file system in Solaris using Netbackup 3.4.

2002-05-17 09:10:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help Restoring root file system in Solaris using Netbackup 3.4.
From: Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com (Weber, Philip)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:10:50 +0100
I did something like this.  Can't find my notes but I think you need to
rename hard links but not soft links.  For example I was mounting my 2nd
disk's filesystems under /a so had to tell the hard links to link to
/a/<link> to get the correct inode no. but I wanted the soft links to still
be "/a/<softlink> --> /<original-file>.  This way everything points to the
correct places when you boot off the 2nd disk.

Like other people have said, you need to make sure the
filesystems/partitioning on the 2nd disk are the same as the 1st.

Hi All,
I am trying to restore from a root file system backup (/, /usr, /opt,
/export/home and /var) directories to another disk on the same client so
that I can boot off the second disk. When you do the restore, do you click
on the rename hard links and rename soft links? (I am using Java GUI,
jnbSA)
When I rename softlinks I get a "Cross-device link" error in my restores and
they are partially successful. I think the hard links need to be checked.
When I boot off the restored disk after installing bootblk and editing the
entries in the /etc/vfstab file, I get the following error and the system
freezes.
Any help on restoring the system boot disk in a solaris environment would be
very helpful to me, othewise my backup is of no use.

Rebooting with command: boot /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@3,1/disk@6,0 -s

Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@! 1/! scsi@3,1/disk@6,0 File and args: -s
SunOS Release 5.7 Version Generic_106541-16 64-bit [UNIX(R) System V
Release 4.0]
Copyright (c) 1983-1999, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
-
INIT: Command
"exec /sbin/autopush -f /etc/iu.ap"
failed to execute.
errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

INIT: Command
"exec /sbin/soconfig -f /etc/sock2path"

failed to execute. errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

INIT: Command
"exec /sbin/rcS sysinit
>/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog
failed to execute. errno = 2
(exec of shell failed)

INIT: Command
"exec /sbin/soconfig -f /etc/sock2path"
failed to
execute. errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

INIT: Command
"exec /sbin/rcS sysinit
>/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog
failed to execute. errno = 2 (exec of shell
failed)

INIT: Command

"exec /sbin/rcS sysinit >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog

failed to exe! cu! te. errno = 2 (exec of shell failed)

INIT: Cannot create
/var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:" "

INIT: failed write of
utmpx entry:" "

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

Type control-d to proceed with normal startup,
(or
give root password for system maintenance):

Mukarram Syed
UNIX Systems Administrator

Buy Music, Video, CD-ROM, Audio-Books and Music Accessories from
http://www.planetm.co.in <http://www.planetm.co.in>

This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you by Egg.
The Egg group of companies includes Egg Banking plc
(registered no. 2999842), Egg Financial Products Ltd (registered
no. 3319027) and Egg Investments Ltd (registered no. 3403963) which
carries out investment business on behalf of Egg and is regulated
by the Financial Services Authority.
Registered in England and Wales. Registered offices: 1 Waterhouse Square,
138-142 Holborn, London EC1N 2NA.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and have
received it in error, please notify the sender by replying with
'received in error' as the subject and then delete it from your
mailbox.