Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help Restoring root file system in Solaris using Netbackup 3.4.

2002-05-16 22:10:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help Restoring root file system in Solaris using Netbackup 3.4.
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 22:10:39 -0400 (EDT)
"Cross-device link" sounds like what you'd get if you had rename hard
links turned off.  Or, well, see below.

You need rename hard links on and rename soft links off.

You also need to have the same partition layout as you did during the
backup.  Okay, maybe not exactly the same, but there are some things
you can not do.  For example, if /usr wasn't a separate partition, you
can't make it one during restore.

On my system, /usr/bin/sh and /bin/sh are the same inode.  Therefore
when NBU restores them, only one is actually needs to be restored and
the other only requires recreating the link.  But, if I'd made / and
/usr different filesystems, the linking would fail (with an error like
"Cross-device link") because you can't hard link across filesystems.

P.S.  Check out BMR