Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up through NFS

2002-05-16 11:32:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up through NFS
From: odeegan AT google DOT com (Nicholas O'Deegan)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:32:03 -0700
Quoting Larry Kingery (larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com):

> First, let's assume that the tape drives, SCSI, etc are not the
> bottleneck, and that your Gb card and switch port settings are all
> configured correctly.

They are. :)

> What is the network layout?  If there's a 100Mb connection between two
> routers that all of your clients have to cross, that Gb isn't going to
> do anything for you.

There is not. The network is not the issue. The router is bored with the
amount of traffic I'm sending it.

                              --------
machine1-- NFS --- 100mb -->  |router|
machine2-- NFS --- 100mb -->  |      |----- 1000mb ---> Media Server
                              --------

> BTW, what you're trying to do is mutlistreaming, multiplexing is
> when you write multiple streams to the same drive at the same time.

I am trying to send multiple streams to the same drive, so I am, in
fact, multi-plexing. What I'm doing is treating each NFS server as a
NEW_STREAM.

                     NFS
machine1:/data   ------------>  MediaServer:/opt/machine1/data
machine2:/data   ------------>  MediaServer:/opt/machine2/data

The file list for the backup policy looks like this:

NEW_STREAM
/opt/machine1/data
NEW_STREAM
/opt/machine2/data

Thus, even though it looks like I'm trying to create two streams from a
single location (i.e. /opt), in effect, those are actually pointing to
where I've mounted the two NFS servers.

It turns out this does work after all. I neglected to increase the max
jobs per client via the gui, so it was starting one stream and queing
the other.

Thanks for the pointer to the O'Reilly book,

-odeegan