Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up through NFS

2002-05-15 02:30:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up through NFS
From: odeegan AT google DOT com (Nicholas O'Deegan)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 23:30:45 -0700
I was wondering if anyone out there has thoughts on the following:

I have two servers, one Master/Media the other Media.

The Media(only) server has a library attached with a drive that can write at
10+ MB/sec. 3 machines are mounted to generic mount points on the Media(only)
server (which has a gigE card)

e.g. /data/mount1/
     /data/mount2/
     /data/mount3/

A backup policy was created to have the Media(only) server back itself
up on these mount points. However, the transfer speed maxes out at sub
10 MB/sec speeds. This was expected. I imagine each machine is only able
to serve its data up (over NFS) at around 7-9 MB/sec via a 100 Mbit
connection.

So, how do I speed this up without purchasing additional client
licenses? I tried mulitplexing, e.g.

NEW_STREAM
/data/mount1/
NEW_STREAM
/data/mount2/

I figured, because the streams are coming from separate NFS mounts and
thus separate machines, it would send data faster, but no dice. It
actually increases the load on my Media(only) server without any gains
in performance.

new to this game,

odeegan