Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Raid5 or mirrored?

2001-11-02 10:42:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Raid5 or mirrored?
From: Doug.Braden AT veritas DOT com (Doug Braden)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:42:23 -0600
Robert,

Regarding Raid5...

Raid5 as I understand it has stronger read performance than write
performance.  Some of that may be negated by caching on either your
software-based or hardware controller based Raid5.  So that write hit may or
may not have an effect on you.

The write performance hit would be most apparent if you have full NetBackup
logging enabled on your servers.  Especially if they are set to verbose. So
keep that in mind.

Regards,

Doug Braden
VERITAS Impact Team