Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Raid5 or mirrored?

2001-11-02 11:00:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Raid5 or mirrored?
From: kingjamm AT colltech DOT com (James Mello)
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:00:29 -0600 (CST)
> Performance used to dictate that a mirrorred set was faster. However if you
> are running with any of the newer raid controllers the difference is
> negligable.

It looks like he's using software volume management for his RAID
set.... In general, it just depends on the amount of data that is being
written to disk. If you've got a backup server doing 100's of backups with
lots of logging, then RAID 5 is a *bad* idea. If it's just a small shop
only backing up a couple of servers, go for it. The savings would be
worth it.

There is price, performance, and relability.... pick 2....