Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore

2001-10-31 12:35:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:35:54 -0500 (EST)
Dan,

As you heard so far, there are a number of ways to accomplish this.
Of those listed, I would suggest the bpimage -oldserver -newserver
method.  This will actually go through the image db and change the
server that NBU thinks did the backup (and hence will mount the tapes
for restore).  Most of the other methods simply leave the images db
alone, but tell NBU to act differently in some cases.

So bpimage is a one time "fix", whereas FORCE_RESTORE_... (whatever)
is a "patch" you'd have to leave in place until all of the images have
expired.

One thing that you might end up with is tapes that were used by the
old media server are going to expire, but never get deassigned and
hence never get reused.  This depends on if the mediaDB is still
available and if the server code is still installed on the old media
server.  There's enough variables at play here that I wouldn't want to
try to describe what to do via email, but I would point out that this
is a possibility.