Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpduplicate using the -id switch

2001-07-27 12:02:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpduplicate using the -id switch
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:02:11 -0500
"David A. Chapa" wrote:

> Yes, I actually do use the media id for the duplication, but its a very
> selective process based on the schedule and client name.
>
> bpVault used the bid (backupid), Brian found that to be faster (I still
> disagree Brian... ;-), however, there are some caveats to using the bid
> versus my method.  I don't have my documentation with me to look up those
> caveats, but Brian (or Bryan C.) if you are listening...could you jump in?

I should've looked at David's script more. The -i option to bpduplicate
was new to me previous to this. I don't have any opinion on what way its
faster to duplicate by (client, class, etc.), only that duplicating by
media would be more difficult to script, which David has done. The logic
for David's script is more advanced than mine (nbduplicate). I wasn't
able to figure out how to do more than one duplication at a time with it
though (though there's probably a way to do so), so I've not moved to
it.

BTW, my name is Ryan, not Br[i|y]an ;-)

> I used to run into contention problems.  Where I had more than one stream
> looking for the same piece of media.  I solved that by doing what I do(wah
> ditty ditty dum ditty do...sorry...its called lack of sleep)...

My workaround has been to make backups go into different pools, then
duplicated based on those pools in separate streams. I still duplicate
_into_ the same pool though.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

RCA
--
Ryan C. Anderson       | United Defense L.P.
desk  763.572.6684     | pager 952.235.9936