Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status of 24's and 66's

2001-07-26 13:18:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status of 24's and 66's
From: charles.somogyi AT bms DOT com (Charles R Somogyi)
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:18:38 -0400
--------------0B0A1059D4503BBDC40FDB38

Hello All:

We are running into problems with our 3.4 and 3.2 NT clients. It
seems when the bpstart_notify takes more than 6-7 minutes to
complete, the backup fails with 24's and 66's (depending on which
retry of the backup). These clients have "large" oracle instances
running on them and the bpstart has one line just shutting down
the instance (we are not using the NB Oracle Agents). I have
tried to up the timeout values but this has not worked. We
presently backup up Oracle for Unix on at least 100 clients (big
and small) and many smaller Oracle instances on NT clients and
all run fine, it's just these larger db's on NT. We have
determined that it is not the db that is causing the problem;
people have suggested that the Oracle agent would fix, but we
have experimented with placing a "sleep" of 10 minutes in the
bpstart (no shutdown of the db) and we get the same results
(errors). I have called Veritas and they cannot duplicate the
error via making their bpstart sleep for 10 minutes. We first
noticed this on 3.2 hoping that 3.4 would correct but it has not.
We have also changed the ports on the switch since many had
suggested that these are network related errors but that has also
not worked. The only work around that we have at this point is to
have the NT admin schedule the shutdown via the AT scheduler 15
minutes before the backup is supposed to take off and schedule it
to bring it up at a certain time; this works fine but I would
prefer to use the bpstart (safer).

Has anybody seen anything like this? Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Charlie Somogyi
BMS

[...]

I have called Veritas and they <b>cannot</b> duplicate the error via making