Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] daily backups and catalogue backups

2001-06-29 15:31:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] daily backups and catalogue backups
From: curtis AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:31:31 -0700
Since NetBackup's database consists of hundreds (thousands) of separate
text files, only the index(es) for the backups that were running at the
time of the backup would be affected.  I wouldn't use this as the only
method for backing up most indexes (unless you stop bprd) but it sure can
help in a jam.

Now that I've said that, I'll say that the (now supported) "split-backup"
method of backing up the indexes is a really good idea.  It basically goes
like this:

1. Wait for inactivity
2. Fire off a backup that backs up all indexes except for the server
3. Kill bprd as soon as the above backup starts
4. (My step: Make sure no other backups started in the meantime)
5. Wait for backup to finish
6. Configure include list for bpbackupdb process to be ONLY the media
database, and the server's index
    (I prefer to do this dynamically.  I also add in the media server's
7. Setup a specific tape (and pool IMHO) to be the bpbackupdb tape
8. Run bpbackupdb, specifying above tape
8. Wait for it to finish
10. Start everybody up.

This solves two problems:
1. The bpbackupdb backup cannot span tapes.
    Backing up only the server's index and media database SIGNIFICANTLY
reduces the size of this backup.
2. Indexes don't change during backup
    (Believe it or not, a number of other methods just back up the db while
backups are running and cross their fingers.)
3. The problem of only having two tapes to back up the db to.
    What happens when you corrupt the index on Friday, and then back it up
on Saturday and Sunday?
    You just overwrote your only backups.  The above method solves this
problem.

If anyone's interested, I have a script that automates all of this.  It's
in my NetBackup tool kit at
http://www.backupcentral.com/mytools.html