Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup tape alert and out of space question

2001-06-05 09:26:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup tape alert and out of space question
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 09:26:46 -0400
I can't help you with question #1 but I might be able to shed a little light on
question #2.

I believe NBU will only mount the tape in the next slot if it happens to be
available and it's of the same retention period of the tape that ran out of
room and there are no tapes of the same retention period in any of the prior
slots. It has been my experience that NBU takes a sort of round robin approach
so you might happen to get the very next tape by luck of the draw but there are
no guarantees. If I'm not thinking right on this someone please let me know.
I'd also like to know the right answer if this is not it.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> techdude <mysun77 AT usa DOT net> 06/05/01 02:12AM >>>
How do I turn on the tape alerter in Netbackup? I just want something to
remind the admin on duty to clean the tape.

If I run out of space during a backup on one tape will Netbackup know
to automatically use the tape in the next slot?

Thanks.