Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Differences of backup exec and Netbackup

2001-05-30 14:49:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Differences of backup exec and Netbackup
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:49:29 -0400
I currently use NBU 3.2GA on a Sun E450 Master server and I have no problem
backing up my 70+ Novell NetWare servers. I do have the occasional problem with
the bpcd client crashing the Novell server but for the most part I'm pretty
satisfied with the way NBU does it. I restore this data for various users on a
daily basis and I have a high confidence level as to the functionality of the
NetWare client agents. My Novell servers are 4.11 by the way.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Charles R Somogyi <charles.somogyi AT bms DOT com> 05/30/01 01:58PM >>>
I could never come across appropriate documentation comparing the
two products.

I recently had the NetWare admins approach me regarding their
machines being backed via our NB environment (NB 3.4/HP-UX 11.0).
It was mentioned to me at that time that they had heard that NB
cannot handle NSS (NetWare filesystems) as well as Backup Exec.
That is when I tried looking for documentation regarding the
issue. The only info I could find was in the archives of this
user group. I did find that people complained about the NB agent
crashing NetWare servers and that Backup Exec was a good tool for
NetWare backups. I am not happy about bringing in a new product
especially since I cannot administer B Exec form NB and there is
a whole learning curve that our operators would have to go
through.

Has anybody else heard anything along these lines?

Charlie Somogyi
BMS
Princeton , NJ
609-818-3589