Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] restore question

2001-04-20 11:58:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] restore question
From: RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com (RYAN ANDERSON)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:58:43 -0500
I've looked into this recently, and here's what I found:

1) You can use bpimage or bpduplicate to change the duplicated image to
be promoted to the primary image (Is there any difference?)

2) The problem you really have before that is finding the backup ids.
Remember that NBU backs up to an image and one image may reside on
several tapes.

Something that I've used to find the backup ids I need to change the
primary copy of is this:

bpimagelist -idonly -option INCLUDE_TIR -d 12/25/00 -e 12/31/00 -st FULL
| awk '{ print $8 }'

With bpimagelist you can specify dates, the host you want (by default it
will yank all hosts), etc.

3) You may want to figure out which tapes your promoted backupids are
on, try this. Its output isn't easy to deal with, but it works:

bpimagelist -L -backupid <bid> | egrep -i 'id|copy'

I guess VERITAS Vault would save you from this, but I haven't used it.

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)