Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] reserving a tape drive

2001-03-14 20:32:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] reserving a tape drive
From: Sangemino, Joe JSANGEMINO AT EFTIA DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:32:34 -0500
Hi,
        I'm in a situation tonight where I'm rebuilding a Unix server, and I
will need to restore some directories to it once done.  I have a 4 DLT drive
Sun L1000 StoreEdge unit with a 30 tape capacity robot. 3 of the drives are
now busy doing restores which will take another few hours, and in 30 minutes
the nightly round of backups will begin. I'm going like hell to try and have
my system ready for the restore before the nightly backups kick in and take
over my sole remaining free DLT drive.

The question is, how could I in the future ensure that I had a drive free
for just such an emergency repair?

(For those wondering, I beat the backups for the restore)

Cheers,
Joe

Joe Sangemino
NT/UNIX Systems Administrator