Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle failing during a backup

2000-11-20 11:24:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle failing during a backup
From: Sixbury, Dan dsixbury AT saint-lukes DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:24:06 -0600
If the Oracle administrator is doing an offline or even a "hot" backup of
the database, then the files are going to be placed in a directory and
netbackup will pick those files up like any other Unix files.  One of the
first places the Oracle Admin should look is at the listener.log.  This
might give some clues as to why the listener is hanging or stopping.  The
other thing that you could check is to make sure that Oracle listener is not
trying to use the same port number as netbackup, but this is less likely if
you go with the defaults for Oracle and for Netbackup.  Are you scripting
the netbackup backup or using the gui to do a normal full,incremental unix
file backup?  The alert.log should also be checked (Oracle log file), and a
call should be placed to Oracle support.  I have backed Oracle files up with
Netbackup and have not seen any issues with the listener or netbackup.

Dan Sixbury
Celeritas Technologies, LLC.
913-491-9000

I was wondering if anyone has see this before.....the unix adminstrator has
moved some files to a different file system...(what he did is written below)

Copied the Oracle binaries under /oracle from an HP HFS file system to a
newly created VxFS file system.  Started Oracle and the listener.

We do not use the oracle extension.  we just backup a their dump files.
However whenever a backup runs and it is about 12 minutes into the backup
the listener freezes and erroring out on the network layer errors.  The only
thing that will clear it is a reboot.  This just start happening after the
file system move.  This server has never had a problem backing up in the
past.  I have reloaded netbackup and the unix adminstrator has reload
oracle.  I really do not think it is netbackup causing the problem.

I really need some suggestions to figure this one out.  thanks

Tim Henfling, MSCE, CNA
HomeSide Lending, Inc.
(904) 281-3427
Fax (904) 281-3939