Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Preemptive scheduling

2000-10-17 22:19:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Preemptive scheduling
From: Patrick Boyle PBoyle AT esri DOT com
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:19:08 -0700
to take this tread a different direction...

If your backups take too long, how long would our restore take?
Do a test of this, tell management that a complete restore of
X system will require 32 hours, and see if you get the upgrade you
need.

This List always discusses backup issues, It's when you have
Down-time that is un-acceptable that the Backup Team
comes under fire.

And another direction...

How about this schedule, as food for thought.
1 monthly FULL backup.
1 Weekly Cumulative Backup.
Daily Differential Backups.

If most of your Backup is of stale data, this works great
for LONG Full Backups.

Patrick Boyle
ESRI Systems Administration
Voice:          [909] 793-2853  Ext. 1-1461
Numeric Pager:  [909] 777-2791
E-mail:         PBoyle AT esri DOT com